Around 10AM I set out to cover the remaining 85km to the border. The Wrangell range has been mainly hidden in clouds the last few days. Now the clouds are still stuck at the foothills and above I can see the mountains. With the spectacular view and the sun blasting in my face I feel incredibly good and happy on the first kilometers and have a huge smile on my face [many car drivers seem to notice and smile back very nicely]. On top, the fall colors are still a spectacle of its own. Alaska apparently decided to make it a very difficult goodbye.

After just 20km I stop at the last gas station, get a coffee, have my second breakfast and dry my tent in the sun. It didn't rain, but since the nights get colder and colder there is more condensation inside [you see, always something to complain about...].

On the last kilometers I recab my days in Alaska [I may or may not write a separate post about it] and remain deeply impressed and grateful that I got the chance to visit this beautiful place. I covered close to 3000km and was able to see some specetecular sceneries. Much more than I would have seen, if the border to Canada would have been open earlier [so some credits to Canada as well, I guess].

After quite some climbing and slower progress than expected, I reach the border around 4PM. Quite unimpressive, I basically just exit the US side, no formalities at all. However, there are some bad news. The Canadian customs will be in Beaver Creek, another 20 miles into Canada. [Or better said 32km. Yes! Even though I got a pro in multiplying and deviding by 1.6 by now, I am happy to be in a country that uses the metric system again, makes so much more sense]

I did plan to cook myself a nice meal to celebrate the entry into Canada. I do my victory picture at the Yukon sign just behind the border but it's not official yet. So no celebration cooking for me... Being very low on energy by now I open the gates to my candy bar selection to power me through the next 32km.

The scenery obviously doesn't change much, so I try to push through the last hills in the nomansland towards Beaver Creek. 1KM before the customs I encounter a bear with its cub. They are nice but I stop in quite a distance and they really took their time to let me proceed [I think that might be some sort of Canadian pre check].

Once I reach the border I feel the tension coming in. Legally all should be well. But international border crossings [even more in times of Corona] are a bit of an uncertain situation. In Europe we [luckily] have forgotten about this, but I still remember very vividly that one winter we went skiing to the Czech Republic when I was kid and after waiting for hours in front of the border had to return home because there was a minor mistake in one of our passports. And Canada just opened today for traveller's like myself. It has been a closed shop since March last year.

Long story short, all is well. There is a moment that feels like forever when the border officer asks me something and then goes off for a few minutes with my passport but overall she is incredibly friendly and welcoming. Very nice customer experience, Canada, very nice!

With a 6 month visa I pedal towards the town [more like a small village]. Instead of cooking I have a burger. Random info: I am in Canada now but it is the first time in my life that I watch Fox News while having my burger. Eye opening...

Afterwards I just ride 3km out of Beaver Creek [the town] to Beaver Creek [the river] where I pitch my tent for the night. Goodnight from Beaver Creek! Beaver Creek in Canada. Can't believe this!